Thursday, August 31, 2006

2006 Governor's Cup is Here!

Yes folks, it's time to compete again for the storied Governors Cup!
This regatta is our season-capping event and the club's longest running race. If I only had possession of the cup I could tell you for sure the year of the first race (perhaps Paul can share that with us) [Why yes, I can. Follow this link to a Governor’s Cup history. PDW]

I believe the ASC Governors Cup Regatta is the longest running annual competition in Alaska. Heck, I hear Ben Robar was only 18 years old when he first won it, so that gives you an idea of how long this race has been around. Anyway, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. For those of you that haven't seen it, the Governors Cup is really quite a cool trophy. They don't make them like this one any more! I hope you can make it out to the lake and join in the fun. I'm quite pleased with the participation we have had in the racing this year and I hope we can just keep building it up. There are a few kids out there that I think are ready to grab hold of the helm and join in too.

OK - some details. We will shoot for starting the first race promptly at 1:00 pm on Saturday September 2nd. Please make sure that you have your boat ready to go in time to join the first race. If you simply can't make it, please still come on out and join in the races later in the day. As with our other regattas this series will consist of approximately 3 to 7 races depending on wind conditions. At a minimum we will stage races on Saturday the 2nd and Sunday the 3rd of September.
Racers earn points for each race, so it pays off to race them all. As last year's champion (Paul Willing) can tell you, the more races you win the better. The way the scoring works you get to throw out your worst race, so you can still be competitive even if you miss a race.

Lastly, we will have trophies for the big boat and the small boat classes so we are ready for all comers.

As I'm sure you have seen there via email there will be a fish fry happening on Saturday. I think the Events Committee has a theme for a Sunday potluck as well (stay tuned for more information). We will also have live music on Saturday night. The Commodore splurged and arranged to have the Junior James Band come out to entertain us starting around 6:30 or 7:00.

I hope your plans include joining us this holiday weekend. It's guaranteed to be almost more fun than should be allowed. See you there.

Posted by Paul for VC Tim G.

No comments: