Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Big Lake Joy

I've been sailing with you all for 5 years now. There have been so many moments of great joy mixed in with moments of angst as I continue to learn about the art of sailing. One of my most favorite recent experiences has been learning how to perform a "heave to" to use during storms or for rescues. With many thanks to new member, Terry, I've been learning about the art of sailing. I've always felt the water and wind and had good boat sense. However, sailing with someone who constantly wants to learn and perfect is helping me along my path to becoming a more secure sailor. This is a reminder to all of us of the importance of learning, pushing boundaries and trying new things. In the meantime, find the joy in the quiet moments, and the peace of the sunsets and rises of our beloved spot. See you on the water.

One ship sails east and another sails west
With the self-same winds that blow.
Tis the set of the sail and not the gale
Which determines the way they go.
As the winds of the sea are the ways of fate
As we voyage along through life,
Tis the act of the soul that determines the goal,
And not the calm or the strife.
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No comments: