Thursday, July 30, 2009
Please consider volunteering to serve as a Race Official for the next
Wed Wed Series. The Summer is quickly passing and being out on the
lake watching sail boats in the evening is great. Ask anyone who
was there last night!
Drop me a line if you can commit to any of the Wed night races or any
of the upcoming Regattas.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Friday, July 17, 2009
I would start the next race 5 min after the last finisher-- got four races in by 8:45. Did upwind and down and a Triangle.
Results to date here.
Sunday, July 05, 2009
Saturday, July 04, 2009
Thursday, July 02, 2009
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
One ship sails east and another sails west
With the self-same winds that blow.
Tis the set of the sail and not the gale
Which determines the way they go.
As the winds of the sea are the ways of fate
As we voyage along through life,
Tis the act of the soul that determines the goal,
And not the calm or the strife.
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox
For more ideas on kid races and fun sailing/racing games, see these excerpts from Mary Well's Revival chapter of Catamaran Racing for the 90's in the archived issues of The Sheet online. You can use these links to quickly jump to the Revival articles:
Revival Part 1
Revival Part 2
Revival Part 3
Revival Part 4
Revival Part 5
We've just past our 3rd anniversary of using this blog as our club newsletter! Here's a reprint from the last 2006 issue of The Sheet to help keep those creative posting juices flowing.
The Importance of a Newsletter - Collectively, using this new format we'll have a more vibrant, interesting and timely publication. That's the power of a group blog.
But what do I write about you say? Whatever strikes your fancy -
- What do you feel when you sail?
- What are some of your favorite lake experiences?
- What did you learn last weekend about boat handling, sail trimming, start tactics or mark roundings?
- What is your favorite type of sailboat?
- What is your most memorable sailing experience?
- Favorite sailing vacation.
- New ideas for fun events and races at the club, e.g. last year's Pirate Race.
- Potluck themes (I think we definitely have this one covered! ed.)
- Cool sailing links you've found on the web.
- America's Cup and Olympic Sailing events. (Nice work on the Buc Nationals coverage ed.)